What do we love most about DeKalb, IL? Only 65 miles west of Chicago you can appreciate less traffic, friendly peeps, and plenty of activities and events without leaving town!
DeKalb, Illinois population 43,193
- Home of the Northern Illinois Huskies which offers fun-filled sport venues and events! Also, a wide array of educational opportunities found here Northern Illinois University.
- The newly expanded DeKalb Public Library added 46,000 sq ft totaling $25 Million Dollars putting this building in the national spotlight. The newly designed building made USA Today’s, “Illinois Top 25 Must See Buildings in Illinois.”
- Downtown DeKalb, located on historic Illinois Route 38 (aka Lincoln Highway or Roosevelt Rd east of town) has history and charm with a mix of some new additions to retail buildings, restaurants, shops, and housing. Many nonprofits advocate for maintaining the “small town charm” historical buildings, as well as, the new growth and development to appeal to all. Check out the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce for more info on DeKalb, IL and events.
- Looking for trustworthy doctors and newly built medical facilities and a health/wellness center? They are all right here in town! Check out Northwestern Kishwaukee Hospital and Northwestern Kishwaukee Health and Wellness Center. If you want entertainment for the whole family’s activities, check out the, Kishwaukee YMCA or DeKalb Park District for more info.
- In the need for a date night? Need to get the kids out of the house? Want to see the latest movies? Book your reserved seating and tickets at the newly renovated AMC Market Square 10 Theater, includes fancy power reclining seats with every ticket purchase!
- What goes better than beer nuggets, a 10K run, free corn on the cob, and live music? Nothing. Visit DeKalb’s Corn Fest, August 23-25th, 2019.
- What else is famed to DeKalb, IL? Barbed-Wire! Check out the now museum estates of the inventor, Joseph Glidden. Also, the beautiful estate and grounds of barbed wire patent partner, Isaac L Ellwood, aka Ellwood House Museum.
- Speaking of barbed-wire…how can DeKalb go wrong with the team mascot? DeKalb Barbs! They recently built 400,000 DeKalb High School (Notable alums include super model Cindy Crawford, actor Richard Jenkins, and author Richard Powers) which also offers many camps and activities offered for the DeKalb Barbs.
- DeKalb is considered a small town to most, however, they do have larger national chains and restaurants as well, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, TJ Maxx, etc.
- Lastly, if you only have a short visit in DeKalb, be sure to stop at some of our favorite restaurants with many signature dishes! Tapa La Luna, Fatty’s Pub and Grille, and Ellwood Steak and Fish House.